Protein Rich Carrot Cake
Keeping desserts healthy, yet tasty, can sometimes be a challenge, but not with this cake. Kids will love it and so will you. Add a cream cheese icing if you want to make it more decadent.
- 1 1/2 cups melted butter
- 1/2 cup sucanat
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup North Coast Naturals 100% Iso-Protein (vanilla) powder 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups packed, finely grated carrots soaked in the juice of one lemon 1/8 to 1/4 cup rice dream, milk or dairy alternative
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil an 8-inch square-baking pan.
- In a small bowl combine raisins, apple juice and vanilla. Set aside 20 minutes for the raisins to soften.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter; add flakes and nuts, stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in cinnamon and sauté for an additional minute. Pour into large bowl.
- Stir eggs, honey, and North Coast Naturals Organic Brown Rice, Organic Soya or Organic Hemp Protein powder or North Coast Naturals 100% Iso-Protein powder into raisin mixture. Pour the wet ingredients into dry and stir until mixed.
- Spend the mixture into pan and bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.