Breakfast is one most important meals of the day. Keeping the family happy and the nutrition element active can be a challenge in a busy world. These waffles take a little extra work to prepare but they are well worth the work. Make an extra batch and freeze the left overs for a quick nutritious breakfast for the kids, just put them in the toaster and breakfast is ready.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 2 2/3 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup North Coast Naturals Organic Brown Rice, Organic Soya or Organic Hemp Protein powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powered
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 3/4 rice dream or dairy alternative
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven until the skins are mostly split the nuts are a light brown about 10 minutes. Do not over roast or they may become bitter. Wrap the hot nuts in a towel and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Then rub the nuts together in the towel to remove some of the skin.
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor with 2 tablespoons of spelt flour and grind until fine.
- In a large bowl combined ground hazelnuts, spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, North Coast Naturals Organic Brown Rice, Organic Soya or Organic Hemp Protein powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl whisk the rice milk, oil, egg yolks and vanilla until well combined.
- Beat the egg yolks until light and fluffy.
- With a whisk or a spatula, carefully stir the rice dream mixture into the dry mixture. Once mixed gently fold in the egg whites until just combined.
- Cook waffles according to your waffle iron instructions.
Makes approximately 12 waffles.