Blueberry Flax Muffins
You can keep these in the freezer, take a few out in the morning and pop them in your family’s lunches. They will love the taste and you will love knowing that they are getting extra protein and fibre for their mind and body.
- 1 cup light spelt flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup North Coast Naturals Organic Brown Rice, Organic Soya or Organic Hemp Protein powder
- 1/2 cup ground or crushed flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sucanat
- 2 cups blueberries (if using frozen blueberries add them to the batter in their frozen state)
- 1/4 cup sucanat
- 1/4 cup light spelt flour
- 1/3 cup large flaked rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a large bowl combine flours, North Coast Naturals Organic Brown Rice, Organic Soya or Organic Hemp Protein powder, flax, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine egg, oil, buttermilk and succant.
- Stir gently until just mixed the egg mixture into dry ingredients. Stir in blueberries. Scoop batter into non-stick muffin tin or greased muffin tin.
- To prepare topping, combine succant, flour, rolled oats, cinnamon and melted butter. Sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 25-35 minutes or until knife comes out clean.