Sweet Honey and Wheat Bread
Everyone's favourite dip with a twist.
- 1 cup warm water (105~115 degrees)
- 1 cup warm skim milk or rice dream (105~115 degrees)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup North Coast Naturals 100% Iso-Protein powder or Organic Brown Rice, Organic Soya or Organic Hemp Protein powder
- 1 tablespoon active yeast
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups spelt flour
- Combine the water, milk, honey, and melted butter (or butter substitute) in a small bowl.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add the honey mixture and the egg. Beat for 3 minutes, using a wooden spoon, until smooth.
- Add the 1/2 cup North Coast Naturals North Coast Naturals 100% Iso-Protein powder or Organic Brown Rice, Organic Soya or Organic Hemp Protein powder and unbleached flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a soft dough is formed. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5~7 minutes) adding small amounts of the unbleached flour as necessary. The dough should retain a slightly sticky quality.
- Place the dough in a well-oiled large bowl, turn once to grease the top, and then cover with a slightly dampened cloth. Let rise until doubled (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours).
- Gently deflate the dough. Divide into 2 equal portions. Each portion can be made into a 9 x 5 loaf or into 12 rolls.
- Bake loaves for 35- 40 minutes or until crusty and golden. Bake rolls for about 20 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.
Tofu hot dog rolls
Divide dough into 12 equal parts. Roll into oval shape, place tofu hot dog in middle, bring the ends together to close. Let rise additional 1/2 hour. Bake in oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. These can be eaten right away or frozen to eat another day. These are great for lunches.
Divide dough into 12 equal parts. Roll into medium sized circle. Spread pizza sauce on the circle, but not to the very edge. Place topping on one half of the circle. Topping such as tofu pepperoni, peppers, mushrooms, pineapple, or what ever your family likes. Next add the cheese. I like a combinations or cheddar and mozzarella. Fold dough over topping and seal. Bake in oven for 20 minutes at 350 degress. These also are great right away but can also be frozen.
Use your imagination; get your taste buds guide you.