Lemon and Garlic Quinoa Salad
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is a nutrient dense grain, which is very high in protein. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids, making it an unusually complete protein source. It is a good source of dietary fibre and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest.
Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 8 cups of water
- 1/2 carrot, chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup North Coast Naturals Raw Hemp Seeds
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon North Coast Naturals Organic EFA 369 Oil blend or North Coast Naturals Organic Hemp Oil
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- Rinse quinoa with warm water and strain. Place in large pan and dry-roast on low heat for approx 5 to 8 minutes, stir continually. Bring water to boil add toasted quinoa and boil for 12 minutes. Remove from heat, strain thought colander.
- Place dressing ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Add carrots, seeds and parsley to quinoa. Stir in dressing.